Tuesday, June 18, 2013

White Bean Basil Spread



When I first had to make the switch to a gluten free diet I entered panic mode pretty quickly. What was I supposed to eat?!?! After 27 years of eating a lot of bagels and other delicious carbohydrates I wasn't sure that anything would satisfy that craving. I soon discovered that beans are very filling and, indeed, satisfy the craving that I still have constantly for carbs. This spread is something I have made for years and I use in many different ways. It goes well on pretty much any savory sandwich, as a substitute for mayo on a BLT, as a dip for chips or veggies or mixed with mashed potatoes to add more flavor and health benefits.



Ingredients: 
1 can white beans (any) 
6-8 basil leaves
juice of 1/2 lemon 
olive oil 2-3 tablespoons
3 tablespoons feta 
salt to taste 
cracked black pepper



Method: Simply put all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend on low until well combined. You may want to add more olive oil for a creamier texture if you prefer.

Optional additional ingredients: garlic powder, sour cream. 


ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment