Tuesday, July 30, 2013

GF Panko Crusted Mozzarella Sticks

If you have been paying attention, you will have noticed that most of my entries on this blog are inspired by cravings. Today's gluten free recipe for ooey, gooey, crispy fried mozzarella sticks is no exception. Mozzarella sticks are, hands down, my favorite food from my childhood and it just makes me feel good to eat them... at least, in the moment I am eating them before mild guilt sets in...

You will see in step 4 that this recipe requires double dipping in the egg and panko mixtures... that isn't a typo- it is the key to making these suuuuper yummy.

This recipe makes 8-10 mozzarella sticks.

Ingredients

10-12 mozzarella sticks (either packaged or sliced from fresh)
1/4 cup GF Panko Crumbs (I use Ian's Brand)
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon Sorghum Flour
1-2 tablespoons dried oregano
1 tsp fine salt
Oil for frying (I use canola)
1 egg, beaten

Method
1) Prepare your mozzarella sticks by either taking them out of the packaging (5-6 sticks, cut in half) or by slicing 1/2 thick slices of fresh mozzarella.

2) Combine all dry ingredients in a small bowl.

3) Heat 1" of oil in a heavy bottomed pan.

4) Dip the mozzarella sticks in the egg and then in the panko mixture. Dip it back in the egg and then in the panko mixture again.

5) Drop the sticks in the hot oil and fry for about 1 minute. They should be a lovely golden brown at 1 minute if the oil is hot enough!

6) Serve immediately with your favorite marinara sauce, or click for the recipe that I use!


No comments:

Post a Comment