Wednesday, May 15, 2013

GF Whoopie Pies with Nutella Cakes and Mascarpone Cream Filling

If I am going to bother making a dessert it has to be 2 things: simple and delicious. If it takes too much effort, or isn't worth the calories, I am likely to grab a spoon and a jar of Nutella and call it a night. This treat satisfies both requirements and, alas, Nutella still has a starring role... 

The seed for this dessert was planted this afternoon when I saw a little boy sitting on a bench, devouring a whoopie pie. Whoopie pies are the #1 reason why I will never move away from New England. Every once in a while I give in to temptation and eat a giant-sized, gluten-filled, deliciously decadent New England Whoopie Pie. And then for several days I pay the consequences...  Tonight, I was determined to have a different fate when faced with my intense craving! In just the first try, I managed to create a creamy, moist, chocolatey, simple, gluten free version of a whoopie pie that is sure to keep me from indulging in ways that my body wouldn't approve. Although my goal is to continue working on this recipe until the proportions are perfect, I wanted to share immediately just in case anyone else is caught in the same situation. I will be sure to update with any changes! Enjoy!!!


To make the Nutella cakes: 

In a medium bowl, mix by hand the following ingredients: 

3/4 cup Nutella
1 large egg
3/4 cup All-purpose GF flour

I love that there is no need to add any extra sugar!

Bake 6-8 minutes at 350F.


To make the mascarpone cream filling:

Combine the following ingredients in a bowl and whip (with a wire whisk or an electric mixer) until it is a nice thick cream. This cream will be much thicker than the regular cream filling in a whoopie pie. Because GF cakes don't achieve the same moisture level as their glutenous counterpart, I had to add a little extra decadence!

                               1 cup mascarpone cheese
                               1 cup whipping cream
                               1 teaspoon GF vanilla extract
                               5 tablespoons sugar




2 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa,

    Thanks so much for sharing your blog! Will definitely follow and share with my mother-in-law who has a gluten allergy, but loves to cook.
    And anything with nutella in it passes the test in my household :)
    XO,
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brooke!!

      I will be sure to keep the Nutella creations coming :)

      Cheers!
      Lisa

      Delete