Thursday, May 30, 2013

Homemade microwave caramel chews!!!

Microwave Salted Caramel Chews 
 Sweet. Salty. Simple. Delicious. 

I have been obsessed with candy for as long as I can remember. Jerry Seinfeld once said that the only clear thought he remembers having as a child is "get candy." I can totally relate. A few days ago, I popped into our neighborhood chocolatier (as you do) and picked 3 caramels out of the tin by the window. The cashier rung me up and I was astonished that I had to cough up $4.50 for 3 caramels. Granted, they were amazing, but totally overpriced.

So I made a vow to learn how to make yummy, chewy, sweet, salty caramels and never pay a premium for them again!!

I spent an hour reading through different caramel recipes and then decided on creating a hybrid... (mostly because I didn't have everything on hand that any one recipe called for!) And just in case you didn't know yet, caramel is made entirely of fat and sugar so please don't pursue this recipe if you are counting calories!!

Ingredients: 
1/2 cup brown sugar
8 oz. sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup white sugar
3 tbsp heavy cream
1/2 cup Light Karo syrup
1/4 cup butter
1 tsp sea salt + some for sprinkling 

Method: 
Really, this couldn't be any easier...


1) Add all ingredients into a glass bowl.
2) Microwave for 2 minutes. Stir.
3) Microwave for 2 minutes. Stir again.
4) Microwave for 2 minutes. Stir yet again.
5) Pour the caramel into a lightly greased pan.
7) Immediately sprinkle sea salt across the top.
6) Let cool. Cut. Wrap!
ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment